Velliangri Hill Station - Tamilnadu
Deemed as the “Kailash of the South”, the lofty Velliangri Hills is a scenic location with the ravishing Western Ghats in its background and bordering Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu and Palakkad district of Kerala.
Standing at an altitude of 6000 feet above the sea level, the Velliangri Hills is a renowned tourist destination providing ample opportunity for trekking. The 8 Km trek is truly captivating with the natural scenic beauty of the hills and its surroundings. You have to trek seven hills to reach the top where you will be greeted with breathtaking panoramic vistas.
The Velliangri Hills is of spiritual significance too for housing a Shiva Temple on the top hills where Lord Shiva is worshipped as Swayambhu. The Temple is placed under a natural cave.
The Hills of Velliangri will be flooded with hundreds and thousands of devotees during the annual pilgrimage season between February to May. The wealthy natural flora and fauna of the place and the rich forest cover that inhabits elephants, bears, panthers, and wild buffaloes can fascinate tourists and nature lovers as well.
- The Velliangri Hills is a part of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
- It is known as Sapthagiri or 7 Hills.
- Velliangri Hills is also known as the "Kailash of the South or Bhoolok Kailash".
- Velliangri Hills houses a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva where the Lord is worshipped as Swayambhu.
- As per legends, it is believed that the place where the temple is located, is the spot where Lord Shiva performed his cosmic dance on the request of his consort Uma Devi.
- The Velliangri Hills is encircled by Tirumalgiri, Ayyanmalai and the Dharmalingesa Hills.
- The Ashram of Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, as well as the Yoga and Meditation Centre run by the Isha Foundation, attracts a lot of tourists and devotees to the Velliangri Hills.
Best Time to Visit :
July to March is considered as the best time to visit the Velliangri Hills in Coimbatore. The place experiences a very hot summer season between the months of April till July.
The temperature ranges between 25 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius during this season in Coimbatore. The humidity in the air makes it unpleasant for travelling and sightseeing. The place will be crowded with myriads of tourists during the winter season that begins in the month of October and continues till March. The winter season in Coimbatore is neither too cold nor too hot, hence it is the perfect time for exploring.
The monsoon rains may be a hindrance and not letting you explore the place between the months of July to September. But it is the time you can experience the stunning beauty of the place soaked in abundant greenery.
How To Reach:
Air Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport to Velliangri Hills which is situated at a distance of 49.6 Km.
By Rail Coimbatore Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Velliangri Hills which is situated at a distance of 41 Km.
By Road Coimbatore Bus Station is the nearest bus station to Velliangri Hills which is situated at a distance of 39.9 Km.