In 1746, French was ruling this terrain while Britishers came in around 1752. One of the best picnic spots and excursion points to date. India’s first surfing school began in this region where there are numerous activities for visitors to enjoy. This place is best for soaking in calm and composed sunsets. Covelong Beach is one of the ineffable packages of nature. The location makes it more crowded and people from Mahabalipuram and Chennai involve in activities like jet skiing, surfing, and boating. An important point for fishing. The predominant occupation of the villagers existing here.
Beach Highlights and Nearby Attractions :
- Fisherman’s Cove Resort: The old Dutch fort is an important and historic place is now a beautiful resort of the Taj Group of Hotels.
- Crocodile Bank: Just 14 m away from Mahabalipuram, this spot is filled with African Alligators and Crocs. Snake extraction and Crocodile Convention Centre are important attractions here.
- Tiger Caves: The crown here has 11 tiger heads leading to this name. A perfect recreational spot maintained by the Archaeological Society of India (ASI).
- Shore Temple: A beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site displaying the beautiful architecture of the Pallavas.
- Arjuna’s Penance: Belongs to the Archaeological Society of India (ASI) and is one among the UNESCO World Heritage Monuments.
- Varaha Cave Temple: A rock-cut Hindu Temple built during the reign of Narasimhavarman I Mahamalla.
- Descent of the Ganges: A legendary monument for celebrating Goddess Ganga’s descent to Earth.
Activities to do :
Best Time to Visit:
November to February is the best time to visit Mahabalipuram. Winter is an ideal time to explore in and around the city. Visit Covelong beach when the opulent sea breeze blows. A little warmth of the Sun creates a beautiful blend to explore the sandy terrains. Buy souvenirs outside the monuments showing your bargaining skills. Summer is too harsh for travelers to explore the places, however, monsoon season behaves in unexpected ways. But travelers can gather in winter for a good time in the capital of Tamil Nadu.
Ways to Reach:
By Air - Anna International Airport is just km away from the city. Cabs and buses are available to take one to Mahabalipuram.
By Road - One of the largest bus services in Asia is in Chennai. Most of the South Indian cities are connected to Chennai. Mahabalipuram is 55 km away while Covelong is 37 km away from the central part of Chennai.
By Rail - One of the important railway stations in India. Central and Egmore Railway Station is less than 3 km away from each other. From both places, Mahabalipuram is approachable through cabs and public buses.