If you are looking for paragliding, trekking, and rock climbing in an enchanting hill station highlighted with lush greenery all around along with the view of milky white waters cascading down from the hills, then Yelagiri is definitely your place.
Experiencing moderate weather throughout the year, Yelagiri is a blissfully isolated paradise for honeymoon goers. The winding roads through the hills with picturesque sceneries makes the journey delightful. The Rose gardens, orchards and the beautiful green valley’s surrounding the place create an aura of breath-taking beauty. Yelagiri is a splendid place to bring out your adventure tastes. Ranging from the highest point, the Swamimalai Hills to the smallest peaks like Javadi Hills and Palamathi Hills, Yelagiri offers a unique as well as exciting trekking trails that fascinates the trekking enthusiasts. In addition to adventure activities, Yelagiri is an ideal place for exploring with a dazzling man-made Punganur Lake, breathtaking Jalagamparai Waterfalls, the Velavan Temple, and an incredible Nature Park dotted with an aquarium, an artificial waterfall, a musical fountain and a rose garden.
- Yelagiri is nicknamed as "Poor Man's Ooty".
- The 14 breath-taking hairpin bends to Yelagiri offers an electrifying driving experience.
- Yelagiri sprawls across an area of 30 sq. Km and is perched atop a height of about 1110.6 meters above the sea level.
- Swamimalai Hills is the highest point in Yelagiri.
- Yelagiri is a paradise for trekkers.
- Yelagiri is widely known for paragliding and rock climbing activities.
- The annual Yelagiri Summer Festival is a major highlight of the place which involves the participation of numerous people all across the country.
- Many cultural programs are conducted during the Yelagiri Summer Festival along with Flower Show and Dog Show that displays a variety of dog breeds.
Best Time to Visit
The pleasant climate of Yelagiri makes it an ideal place to be visited throughout the year. But October to March will be the best time to explore Yelagiri. The hill stations of Yelagiri will be thronged by tourists during the winter months of November to February. The place experiences a maximum temperature of 24 degree Celsius while the minimum temperature will drop down to 12 degree Celsius. July to September is the best time for monsoon lovers to visit Yelagiri as the place looks vibrant and exuberant with the continuous downpour during the season. Summers are not preferable to visit this place. So, it is better to avoid visiting Yelagiri during the summer months of March to June. The temperature during these months ranges between 18 degree Celsius to 34 degree Celsius.
Way to Reach
By Air - Yelagiri doesn't have an airport of its own. One can take a flight to Yelagiri from Bangalore Airport or Chennai Airport which are situated at a distance of 191.8 Km and 222.5 Km respectively.
By Rail - Jolarpettai Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Yelagiri which is situated at a distance of 22 Km.
By Road - Jolarpettai Junction Bus Station is the nearest bus station to Yelagiri which is situated at a distance of 21.7 Km.